#Book1CoziesClub: My Thoughts on Dying in Style (Josie Marcus Mystery Shopper Mysteries #1)

Dying in Style Dying in Style by Elaine Viets
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

More like a 2.5 - Read for #Book1CoziesClub

If you enjoy shopping, I think you will really enjoy this series. Unfortunately for me, though learning about the profession of mystery shopping was interesting, I couldn't really get into this story. This book took me about a month to finish, which kind of tells you how invested I was.

Josie as a character, I could relate to a bit because we are both single parents who's mother helps us out with babysitting/raising our child. Thankfully my mother is nothing like Josie's and the way her mother acted is something that bothered me about this story. While I could relate to Josie on that one point, there were a lot of things that I couldn't relate to about her as well though. The fact that she and her best friend constantly refer to one character as a derogatory term for a woman who is promiscuous didn't sit well with me. They are supposed to be women in their thirties and they rarely call this woman by her name in passive conversation without adding the derogatory term.

Extramarital affairs are also a prominent theme in this story line in regards to several characters we meet throughout this first installment. While that didn't bother me, I wanted to mention it because I know it can be something that bothers others. I personally do not think this series is for me, but the author does write a couple other series that are not shopping related that I will probably check out in the future.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

#MarchMysteryMadness: Wrap Up and Update