Free Knitting Pattern | Go Mi Nam Hat

 

 

Ten years ago, I came up with my first pattern. I was inspired by a hat that was worn by the main character, Go Mi Nam, in the Korean Drama You're Beautiful. It took me a couple tries to get it right, but I finally got it. You can read about my journey in creating this pattern through my Ravelry Project Pages here, and here. I've also knit a couple more hats from my pattern - one for my daughter and one for me.

I wrote a blog post in 2014 saying that I was in the process if writing the pattern, but I never released it. I actually typed it up the same month I wrote that blog post, but never had enough courage to post it. I've recently been thinking about this pattern and figured that if I didn't post it now, I would never post it so here it is!

The pattern is free and can only be found here on my blog for right now. It also has not been test knit, so just know that going in. I have not knit one in a while, but would be happy to help with any questions you may have. I hope you enjoy!

Go Mi Nam Hat


Inspired by a hat worn by the character Go Mi Nam in the Korean Drama You're Beautiful.

 

Skill Level:  Intermediate


Size:  One Size Fits Most


Materials:


  • 1 Set Size 8 Dpns - 5mm

  • 1 Size 10, 24 inch Circular Needle - 6mm

  • Six hook type stitch markers 

  • Yarn - 3 balls Lion Brand Jiffy (3 oz) or Jiffy Print (2.5 oz) (approximately 345 yards)


Gauge:  13 stitches x 18 rows = 4 inches in brioche stitch knit in the round

  

Stitches:


K - Knit

P - Purl

K2tog - Knit 2 together

P2tog - Purl 2 together

 


Directions:


Cast on 72 stitches on size 8 Dpns and join in round making sure not to twist, place marker (pm).

Work 1x1 ribbing (K1, P1) for 7 rounds.


Change to size 10 circular needles and work Brioche stitch as follows:

Round 1 - (K1, bring yarn forward, slip 1 purl wise)* repeat(*) to end of round.

Round 2 - Yarn over (slip 1 purl wise, yarn over, P2tog)* repeat (*) to end of round.

Round 3 - Bring yarn back as if to knit (K2tog, bring yarn forward, slip purl wise)* repeat (*) to end of round.

Repeat rounds 2 and 3 until piece measures 8 inches from cast on edge ending with Round 2.


Decrease Round:


Mark 3rd rib from beginning of the round, then mark every 6th rib until you’ve marked 6 total ribs.

Work in pattern to 2 stitches before your marked stitch. Knit together the single stitch and next stitch with it’s yarn over together (3 loops). Return the stitch to the left needle and pass the next stitch and it’s yarn over (2 loops) over. Place stitch on the right needle (2 stitches decreased)

Continue to work in pattern , at the same time working decreases to the end of the round.

Work 3 rounds of Brioche stitch starting on Round 2 as notated above. (60 stitches)

Move the stitch markers one rib to the left.  Work Decrease Round and 3 rounds of Brioche stitch as previous section (48 stitches)

Move the stitch markers one rib to the left.  Work Decrease Round and 3 rounds of Brioche stitch as previous section (36 stitches)


Change to size 8 Dpns. Move the stitch markers one rib to the left.  Work Decrease Round and 3 rounds of Brioche stitch as previous section (24 stitches)

Move the stitch markers one rib to the left.  Work Decrease Round and 3 rows of Brioche stitch as previous section (12 stitches)

P2tog around on the remaining 12 stitches (6 stitches)


Cut yarn leaving a long enough tail to secure crown. Thread yarn through remaining stitches and pull tight. Secure to inside of hat.  Make a large pom pom, attach to top of hat, and enjoy!

 

Please share your finished items with me by tagging me on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook @disis19! 


© Disis19 Designs 2020

 

This pattern is for your personal use only.  Please do not copy, sell, reproduce or distribute this pattern in any way.  Sale of your finished hat is permitted with proper credit to me for the pattern.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

#MarchMysteryMadness: Wrap Up and Update