Books: My Thoughts on The Darkest Part of the Forest

The Darkest Part of the ForestThe Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed this book! It made me remember how much I enjoy stories that have Fae in them and that I should really get back to reading more stories that include them. I did read this in conjunction with it's audiobook and though I enjoyed the narration, I ended up reading the physical copy more because I enjoyed the story that much that I just had to find out what happened next.

There is a bit of parental neglect that was glossed over. I'm not sure that it was even necessary to state it directly in the story (especially because it was described towards the end of the book), as it did seem pretty obvious to me that's how those parents were. Though this definitely wasn't dealt with, there's a part of me that thinks the story couldn't have happened if the parents weren't the way they were. I did appreciate that we find out right off the bat that Ben is gay. The author didn't try to hide it, it's just part of who he is and that's that.

I do believe this is the first book I've read by Holly Black, though I know I have several of her books on my TBR. I really enjoyed her writing as it was very easy to read and the story pulled me in rather quickly. Looking forward to reading more of her books in the future.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer