Books: My Thoughts on Catering to Nobody (Goldy Bear Culinary Mysteries #1)

Catering to Nobody Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Read as part of #Book1CoziesClub.

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Catering the wake of her son's favorite teacher is not Goldy's idea of fun. Particularly when her former father-in-law passes out, nearly felled by a dose of rat poison.

Investigating officer Tom Schultz, though smitten with Goldy and her food, is forced to shut down her business. That's the last straw. Goldy can't cater without a kitchen, so she'll just have to find the rat who poisoned the coffee.

Everyone - from Goldy's ex-husband's other ex-wife to her eleven-year-old son Arch - seems to know more than Goldy does. But as she begins following the recipe to its logical conclusion, Goldy discovers that some very unsavory ingredients are flavoring the neighborhood and poisoning her own family with the bitter taste of deceit and revenge.


☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆ ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

Of all the Cozies I've read recently, this one took me the longest, I think. I started out listening to this on audiobook, but the narrator wasn't clicking for me. Goldy as a character turned out to be really whiny when I listened to her, so I ended up abandoning the audiobook.

Since I owned a physical copy, I stuck to that for the rest of the book. Goldy still got on my nerves as I felt she was really pushy and more nosy than any other amateur sleuth I've encountered. I also did not agree with her parenting choices or the way she handled situations with her ex-husband. Some of the choices the author made in regards to describing Marla's stature got to me and there was a comment made about Japanese people that also bothered me.

I am glad that I finally got to this book, as I own several of the installments in this series. Though this installment wasn't super enjoyable, I will give the series another shot before I decide for sure if I will be continuing on or not. This did come with three recipes which do sound delicious and I have jotted those down to try later.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer