KDramas: I'm On a Roll!

So, it has been a while since I've been "addicted" to Korean Dramas. For a while there, I stopped watching all together. I was watching the variety shows 2D1N and Running Man, but I did not want to watch a drama or even continue the one that I had on the back burner. I needed a drama that would take me out of this rut, so I started The King's Face with Seo In Guk and Shin Sung Rok and am so glad I did.



This drama is set during the reign of King Seongjo and is about his relationship with his son Gwanghae as well as Gwanghae's quest to become the next Crown Prince and eventual King. I really enjoyed this drama and thought that the practice of Physiognomy was very interesting. I thought the end was nicely wrapped up as well. Of course, seeing Seo In Guk's goofy grin was another plus, lol. Since I liked it so much, I decided to jump into the movie The Face Reader with Song Kang Ho and Lee Jung Jae, which also deals with Physiognomy and power struggles in the royal court, but under a different reign.



I did not enjoy this movie nearly as much as The King's Face. It deals with the power struggle between Grand Prince Suyang and General Kim Jongseo. Plus, I had already watched the drama The Princess' Man with Moon Chae Won and Park Shi Hoo which is also about this, without the Physiognomy. I think the story is much better told and more interesting in The Princess' Man than this movie.

Next, we watched the series You're All Surrounded with Lee Seung Gi and Cha Seung Won. My daughter loves crime dramas and this was her pick. She definitely gets the crime show love from her Grandpa! 



We really enjoyed this one as well. Can't say that there has been a drama Lee Seung Gi has been in that we didn't like. Cha Seung Won is also a hoot. I really need to watch more of his dramas as the only other one I've seen was Greatest Love.

Upon finishing that drama we watched the KMovie, The Pirates with Son Ye Jin and Kim Nam Gil on Netflix. 




This was very funny and had a Pirates of the Caribbean feel to it. Watching this reminded me that I need to watch the drama Shark, which also stars these two actors. It was also the first time seeing Yoo Hae Jin in a movie. I had previously only seen him on 2D1N.

By this time, I was ready to finally finish off Golden Cross with Kim Kang Woo and Lee Si Young. 



This drama took me almost a complete year to finish. It was an okay drama, but I think it would've been better if we didn't know who the culprit was at the beginning. It became all about how we're going to catch the criminal and it did not grab me at all. It made me a little sad that I didn't like this drama more as a few of my friends really enjoyed this and I also am a fan of Kim Kang Woo.

Next up (I told you I was on a roll) was Who Are You? with Taecyon and So Yi Hyun.



I had heard that many didn't like this drama, but I really did. It had a little Master's Sun feel to it. Mix that in with crime stories and The Waffle Boy (Kim Jae Wook) and I was thoroughly entertained.

We also started the historical drama Gu-Am Heo Jun with Kim Joo Hyuk.



This is my first time seeing Kim Joo Hyuk outside of 2D1N. We are only a couple episodes into this 135 episode historical, but so far, it's ok.

We've also started Producer with Gong Hyo Jin and Cha Tae Hyun.



We finished episode 3 the other night. This isn't grabbing me as I thought it would, but I have heard from friends that the first few episodes are really slow. I am also not enjoying Gong Hyo Jin's character at all at this point. I am a fan of her work and have seen her in a few dramas, so this does surprise me.

That's the end of my Korean Drama journey over the last two or so months! What have you watched recently that you have loved?

Until next time, Take Care and Smi-Le Always!

   ^
(  "  )
/__\

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer