Books: July Wrap-Up

After failing my 2014 Goodreads Reading Challenge, I'm happy to say that I am doing a great job so far this year. I have already exceeded the goal I set for myself, with the help of several manga that I have read in the last few months. Lately, I have been obsessed with BookTube. (Thanks Lee for introducing me to it! Her blog is Totallee.net - if you haven't checked it out, please do!) Anyway, that inspired this post, which I think would be a good addition to my blog and help me to post more often. Links to Goodreads are included below if you would like to read the summaries.

Starting off with my Surprise TBR Pick #2 for June Mona Lisa Darkening (Monère: Children of the Moon #4) by Sunny.


If you follow me on Twitter, you know that I picked this book as the Surprise TBR Pick #2, but had not read the 3rd book yet, so I switched to that one instead. These books can be read as stand alone novels, but there are elements that continue throughout. I prefer to read them in order for this reason. This was a pretty quick read for me and enjoyable. We get introduced to some new characters, well as and NetherHell, another realm in the world. There's only one more book currently out in this series, which was released quite a few years ago. Not sure if the author has plans to continue. Gave this one 4 stars.

Next up I read Mugen Spiral Vol 2 by Mizuho Kusanagi.


This was the last volume in the fantasy manga duology. A fast read and enjoyable, though the end was very open. 3 stars.

Continuing on with manga, I read Hayate Cross Blade Vol 2 & 3 by Shizuru Hayashiya



















This series is just silly. After I read the first volume, I wasn't sure I wanted to continue. My daughter enjoys it though so I thought I'd just continue reading since she checked these out from the library. These were better, but still silly. 3 stars each.

Murder Princess Volume 2 by Sekihiko Inui


Another end to a duology. This one I found very interesting. Will need to watch the anime in the future. 4 stars.

Talon (Talon #1) by Julie Kagawa



 
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. Listened to most of it on audio at Scribd but towards the end, switched to eBook because I was anxious to see what was going to happen. The narrators were good, don't get me wrong, but I just got impatient =)

The book does end with a hint of suspense, but not a major cliffhanger in my opinion. All in all, an enjoyable read and am looking forward to the sequel. 4 stars.


Spellcasting in Silk (A Witchcraft Mystery #7) by Juliet Blackwell




As expected, another great read from Juliet Blackwell! I enjoyed watching Lily and Sailor's relationship grow, as well as both of them trying to get past some jealousy issues and insecurities. Looking forward to the next installment. 4 stars.

Grey by E.L. James



I also listened to this on Scribd. I have to admit, I did not like this as much as Fifty Shades of Grey. The narration was very slow, but I did enjoy learning Christian's history as well as the extra part at the end between where Fifty Shades ends and Darker begins. 3 stars.

Murder of Crows (Others #2) by Anne Bishop



Another audiobook from Scribd. I really enjoy this series, but this book I enjoyed just a smidgen less than Written in Red. The quest to find The Controller and the rest of the cassandra sangue was interesting though the mystery element of the story wasn't as exciting to me as it was in the first installment. Still a great read though and am looking forward to the next one. 4 stars.

And last but not least, Beautiful Monster (Beautiful Monster #1) by Bella Forrest


The first in the duology, it's an easy read, especially if you like stories with vampires. The main female as well as a side character both have HIV so the story does mention living with this illness. It does end with a twist, but not one that makes me want to dive right into the next one. As a side note, I do like this new cover much better than the one that it had when I downloaded it. 3 stars.

And that does it, whew! That was a lot. I don't usually read this much in a month, but being that it is summer time, I got to fit a few more in. What were your favorite books of the month?

Until next time, Take Care and Smi-Le Always!

   ^
(   "   )
/___\

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer