Books: My Thoughts on Timeline by Michael Crichton

Timeline Timeline by Michael Crichton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 Actually

This book came up on my radar years ago when I first saw it's movie adaptation on SyFy Channel. Turns out that I actually started reading it a while ago, because when I went to pull it off my shelf, there was a book mark in it already. I really enjoy the movie and was excited to pick this up again since I've had such great luck with the other Michael Crichton books I've read recently. Unfortunately, this one didn't wow me as much as Jurassic Park or Pirate Latitudes.

The book starts out with a lot of scientific jargon and explanations that just bogged down the story for me. It did finally start to pick up for me once we got to meet our historians, though getting to that point was a bit of a struggle. Though I did own a copy of this book, I ended up listening to about 90% of it on audiobook instead.

This is one of those books that I could not just sit down and tuck into. I could only take a little section at a time before it got to be too much to absorb. I also think the movie adaptation was done very well and cut out all of the things that bogged this journey down for me, though there were several differences. I have seen the movie about four times, which tells you how much I enjoy watching it.

Knowing how much I enjoyed the movie, I expected to enjoy this book as much if not more. Though I liked the book, I think my disappointment is reflected in my rating. I felt disconnected from the characters, which is a shame because Marek's story is one that I enjoyed watching in the film. I am glad that I did finally read this book, but it is definitely one of those books that I will not be looking to re-read in the future. I think I'll stick to the movie version instead.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Scent Sunday: Weekly Wax Wrap Up featuring the Wish and Willy Wonka Collections