Books: My Thoughts on The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is hovering between 3.5 and 4 stars for me actually. I read this as a buddy read, switching back and forth between ebook and audiobook.

Since I had tried in the past to read the author's Raven Boys series and couldn't get very far into the first book before I put it down, I decided to try this one instead. First off, I have to say that this book was not what I expected it to be. I thought that this book would be focused solely on the race itself, but it was more about the prep leading up to the race. It also left me with a lot of questions, even in the end.

One of the bigger questions I had throughout the book was, where are they referring to when they refer to the mainland? My reading buddy found that the capaill uisce or water horse is found in Scottish/Celtic folklore, though I didn't find that the narrators had particularly Scottish accents, which confused me a bit. Also confusing to me, and the reason that I started utilizing the audiobook, was the alternating POVs between Sean and Puck. Reading the ebook, I constantly had to flip back to see who was talking during the particular chapter. Having the audiobook really helped me to know who's POV we were in as the audio version has both a male and female narrator.

Once I realized that the book wasn't going to focus on the race but the prep leading up to it, I think I was able to enjoy it more. I can't say that I wasn't a little disappointed that the race itself was such a small part of this story. That being said, I found the race scene exciting. I was also happy with how the relationship between Sean and Puck developed and thought that the ending was fitting.

I have never read a fantasy book without some kind of magic system or magic in general, which is probably why it was easy for me to forget that Thisby wasn't a real island. If in the future we are given the opportunity to visit there again, I would be happy to race among the capaill uisce again.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer