Books: My Thoughts on Gilded

Gilded Gilded by Christina Farley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. There were definitely times where I was cringing at some of the descriptions used. I am not Korean, but I have watched quite a few Korean Dramas and Korean Variety Shows and personally have never heard anyone describe their face turning as red as kimchi - not to mention that not all kimchi is red but that's besides the point. Thankfully those descriptions were only in the first portion of the book and did not carry through the entirety.

I was not familiar with the legend of Haemosu and Princess Yuhwa before reading this, but the way the legend is intertwined within this story really kept my interest. I found this story to be very entertaining, but I wouldn't say this story was very Korean in nature. If that's the type of story you're looking for, I don't think this one is for you. It does take place in South Korea, there's some Korean words throughout and the mention of other Korean Gods, as well as the legend itself, but that's about it. That didn't bother me personally, but I know it may bother others so I figure I'd mention it.

Though this book is the beginning of a series, the end does have a finality to it and you definitely could read it as a stand alone, I feel. I was able to listen to a copy of the audiobook that is narrated by Greta Jung and I highly recommend listening to this one, especially if you're not familiar with the Korean language. I'll definitely be continuing with the audiobooks for the other books in this series and look forward to seeing what Jae Hwa has in store for her after the events of this book.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer