Books: My Thoughts on A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (Callie Parrish #1)

A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket by Fran Rizer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

More like a 3.5
Read as part of #Book1CoziesClub

Synopsis (from Goodreads):  Mortuary cosmetologist Calamine Parrish stares death in the face every day. But when she finds a hypodermic needle in the neck of an "accidental" drowning victim, and the victim's fancy casket is stolen, Callie finds herself in over her head-and in the way of a killer.

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆ ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

I really enjoyed the look into Callie's job. It was the fact that she was a Mortuary Cosmetologist that made me buy this book in the first place. This did not disappoint and those scenes were some of the most interesting in this book for me. I also enjoyed her relationship with her family, and her relationship with her blind friend Jane. I thought their friendship was very realistic, especially in the aftermath of an argument or disagreement. I also enjoyed the fact that Callie loves mystery books!

A couple things I didn't enjoy were the nicknames several of the characters had. It seemed so immature and unnecessary. I also wish Callie was less obsessed with the size of her chest. She mentions something to that regard quite a bit throughout the book and her comments irritated me after a while. I also question her taste in men a bit.

The pieces to the mystery kind of fell into Callie's lap, without her even doing anything. Not something I expected, as I thought she'd definitely be more inquisitive and take action. It was a nice change from other cozies I've read. I had no clue who the culprit was until the reveal, which is always a plus.

I do have the next book in the series, so I will be continuing. All in all, this was an enjoyable read, and I'm glad I finally got to it.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer