KDrama: My Thoughts on Oh My Ghostess


16 Episodes
tvN, 2015
Romantic Comedy, Food, Supernatural, Mystery
Watched on DramaFever
☆☆☆☆

Wow, it has been a while since I finished a Korean Drama. MyDramaList tells me that the last drama I completed was Bride of the Century back on August 24, 2015, I started Oh My Ghostess on the same day and watched 6 episodes before I put it on hiatus. I decided to finally pick it up again on March 20, 2016 and marathoned 8 episodes in one day.

At the peak of my Korean Drama Addiction, this was the norm for me. Every weekend we would have drama marathons where we would watch between 8-10 episodes of a drama in a day. In the last couple years though, this has died down quite a bit. Life, other hobbies, and my daughter's extra curricular activities kept us pretty busy. Busy enough that I stopped watching Korean Dramas all together for a time. As I had mentioned in my 2016 Goals post, I did want to kick up my drama watching again this year, and I've finally made a step towards that goal.

My first drama completed in 2016 was Oh My Ghostess (or Oh My Ghost) with Park Bo Young and Jo Jung Suk.

Synopsis (from DramaFever): Na Bong Sun (Park Bo Young) may be a skilled chef, but she lacks the self-esteem to shine professionally and socially. Beyond her cooking talents, however, is an uncanny ability to communicate with ghosts. One day, her mystic senses go out of control when the seductive ghost of Shin Soon Ae (Kim Seul Gi) possesses her. Imbued with a fiery new "personality," Bong Sun starts turning heads, including that of Kang Sun Woo (Jo Jung Suk), the hottest chef in town and Bong Sun's secret crush!

I do have to say that one reason I put this drama to the side for so long, is that I did not think this drama was going to end well. Here you have someone who has a crush on a guy, but is too shy to act on it. She becomes possessed by the ghost of someone who is very aggressive in pursuing the same guy. Said guy falls for the girl, but is he falling for the girl or the ghost? It just wasn't a story I was interested in seeing played out, because the obvious answer to me was that he falls for the ghost.

I won't say if I was wrong or right, but this scenario is played out well in the drama and I was pleasantly surprised. Once the question gets answered, a mystery becomes the more prominent story line including other characters that we get to know throughout the prior episodes. This caught my interest as I do enjoy myself a good mystery. It's definitely not a spine chilling mystery like God's Gift - 14 Days (at least not in my opinion), but it did have a little suspense, which I appreciated.

The final episode wrapped everything up well in my opinion. If I had to compare this to other dramas I've watched, I would say this is a mix of Pasta and The Master's Sun. If you enjoyed those dramas, I do not believe you'll be disappointed with Oh My Ghostess.

If you've seen this drama, let me know what you thought! Or feel free to leave me a drama recommendation. I hope you are all doing great!

Until Next Time, Take Care & Smi-Le Always

    ^
(   "   )
/___\     Di

Image credit to DramaFever

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer