Books: My Thoughts on The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Poirot #1)

The Mysterious Affair at Styles The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

More like a 3.5 for me. Read as part of #MarchMysteryMadness

This is my second Agatha Christie read, the first being And Then There Were None. I was surprised to discover that this book was not narrated by Poirot as I had presumed going in, but it was narrated by another character named Hastings. Though I did find the case interesting, I found Hastings to be a bit annoying. Poirot on the other hand, I really enjoyed.

Though the story in itself wasn't spectacular in my opinion, I did find myself thinking about it and who the killer might be in my last few days reading this book. I didn't really have a solid suspect in mind for most of the story, but I can tell you that I was quite surprised when I found out who actually committed the murder. I did feel like I was led to believe it wasn't the character it ended up being, which made it even more surprising when the reveal was done.

I listened to a majority of this on audiobook and was fortunate enough to pick the one which was narrated by Jeff Woodman. He narrated the accents quite well and the dialogue was clear and understandable. I had tried another version read by David Thorne and I could not understand Poirot's lines at all.

I will definitely be continuing with the series and look forward to more of Poirot's cases.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer