Book Blurb: The Awakening and The Reckoning (Darkest Powers Trilogy #2 & #3) by Kelley Armstrong


So, here we are with another combined review. I've continued the theme of "finishing series I've started a long time ago" with these two books. As with the Wonderous Strange Trilogy, I read the first installment of this series, The Summoning in 2010. The first book I did enjoy, but was not in a rush to complete the series when I was done.

I found these books on Scribd as audiobooks recently and jumped back into it. At first, the narrator did not agree with me one bit. I had even put myself on the waitlist at the library for an e-book copy of The Awakening because it bothered me so much. I ended up trudging through while I was waiting and by time I was near the end of the second installment, I was okay with the narrator.

The Awakening was enjoyable but I did not find it to be as good as the first and third installments.It may also have to do with a certain character that irritated me (Tori). For a good portion of this book, the characters are on the run from The Edison Group. On top of that, they're learning about the dangers of living on the streets and trying to control their powers.

The Reckoning was much more interesting to me, with the characters finding allies and being taught by those allies to control their powers. They get a pretty good glimpse of the extent of what they can do and find out why they are the way they are. They find out about their parents and their involvement with The Edison Group. With more action, mystery, and a little teen romance thrown in, this final installment was the most enjoyable for me. I finished the audio in 2 sittings.

I gave The Awakening 3 stars on Goodreads and The Reckoning received 4 stars. I will definitely be jumping into Armstrong's Darkness Rising Trilogy as well as her Women of the Otherworld Series, of which I do own the first book.

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2015: A book by a female author and a book with magic, check check!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer