Book Blurb: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


The classic tale of Cinderella with a cyborg twist and a deadly disease running rampant.

I started Cinder last year and just wasn't getting into it. This is the book I put on the side and then didn't read anything else for the rest of the year. I decided to pick it up again, and finished it in a day! Maybe it was just the story set-up that was boring to me?  Once I got into more about the disease and the Evil Queen, the pages flew by.

You still have your expected cast of characters, with the addition of the Doctor (well, maybe he's the Fairy Godmother?) and her robot friend Iko (maybe the equivalent of Gus Gus if I had to guess).  The land where this story takes place wasn't as fleshed out as I needed it to be. I couldn't really imagine where New Beijing was. In my mind I was in a land that was a mix of Star Wars and Agrabah (I say Agrabah because every time the Prince showed up in the Marketplace to talk to Cinder, I pictured him as Aladdin incognito.  I don't know why). Not even sure if that's remotely close to what it's supposed to look like. To add to the confusion, the names are Chinese and Japanese, which just seem so out of place to me.

In the end, I am still interested to find out where the story is going. I know the next installment in this series introduces another fairy tale, and it should be interesting to see how that story line weaves itself into this one. I have already started Scarlet and will be letting you know if things in that book help to solidify and sort out the world for me and if that story grabs me more fully than this installment did.

PopSugar Reading Challenge: A book I started but never finished....until now, check!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies: Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Live Action Movie Parts 1 & 2

Books: My Thoughts on The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7)

Monochrome Manga Club First Impressions | Hatsu*Haru, Penguin & House, and Demon Slayer